Geohart Consultants have safely pioneered the use of non-destructive Rock Bolt testing to offer mining operations more detailed and accurate information and the added benefit of preserving existing rock bolt infrastructure.
The traditional pull out tests currently used for rock reinforcement testing is not considered an effective tool for the detection of compromised rock bolt systems used for ground control in underground mining and civil construction industries.
Pull out test still have an important role to play in determining critical bond lengths for static and quasi static ground support designs, however pull out tests do not provide an underground operation with any reassurance regarding rock bolt integrity, which could have been compromised during installation or affected by in-situ aggressive conditions.
Non-destructive rock bolt testing provides:
- corrosion detection
- rock reinforcement integrity testing
- resin / grouting quality control
- site testing
- Sunrise Dam Gold Mine – Anglogold Ashanti
- Fosterville Gold Mine – Northgate Minerals
- Mandalong Coal Mine – Centennial Coal
- George Fisher Zinc Mine – XSTRATA
- 2010 Sydney Ground Control Conference – Managing Geotechnical Risk through Non-Destructive Rock Reinforcement Testing at George Fisher Mine
- 2010 Sydney Ground Control Conference – Presentation
- 2010 Underground Coal Operators’ Conference – Paper
- 2010 Underground Coal Operators’ Conference – Presentation
- Non-Destructive Integrity Testing of Rock Reinforcement at the Sunrise Dam Mine in Western Australia
- ITA-AITES World Tunnel Congress 2010 – “Tunnel Vision Towards 2020” and the 36th ITA-AITES General Assembly